If you’re a seafood lover, then you know that there’s nothing quite like biting into a fresh prawn. However, not all prawns are created equal—some are fresher than others. If you want to make sure that you’re getting the freshest prawns possible, follow these tips!
So, how do you identify fresh prawns?
There are many ways to determine if the prawns you’re buying are fresh. These include:
- Checking the colour – Fresh prawns should be pink or red in colour. If they’re white or grey, they’re not as fresh.
- Checking the texture – Fresh prawns should be firm to the touch. If they’re mushy, they’re not as fresh.
- Checking the smell – Fresh prawns shouldn’t have much of a smell at all. If they smell fishy, they’re definitely not as fresh.
Now that you know how to identify fresh prawns, where can you find them? A good place to buy fresh prawns is from a local seafood market. This way, you can be sure that they were caught recently and haven’t been sitting in a restaurant for days.
Another option is to buy frozen prawns. While these aren’t technically ‘fresh,’ they’re still a good option if you can’t find fresh prawns. In fact, some people believe it’s even better to buy prawns through online delivery services. Just make sure to thaw them properly and completely before cooking. Here are some of the reasons why:
- You’ll get a wider selection – When you buy prawns online, you’ll have a much wider selection to choose from. This is because there are many more seafood companies that sell their products online than there are in local stores.
- You can compare prices – When you’re looking for the best deal on prawns, it’s important to compare prices. This is easier to do when you’re shopping online since you can simply visit different websites and compare prices.
- You’ll get fresh prawns – One of the benefits of buying prawns online is that they’re often fresher than what you’d find in a store. This is because they’re typically shipped faster and don’t have to travel as far.
If you follow these tips, you’ll be sure to find the freshest prawns possible—whether you’re buying them fresh or frozen. So go out and enjoy some delicious seafood!
What are some good prawn dishes?
- Prawn tempura – This is a Japanese dish in which prawns are coated in batter and deep fried. It’s usually served with rice and vegetables.
- Prawn curry – This is a popular dish in many parts of Asia. It typically consists of prawns cooked in a curry sauce with aromatic spices.
- Prawn noodles – This dish is popular in China and Southeast Asia. It consists of noodles stir fried with prawns and vegetables.
- Barbecue prawns – This is a popular dish in many parts of the world. Prawns are simply grilled or barbecued and served with a dipping sauce.
No matter what dish you choose, you’re sure to enjoy it if it contains prawns! What’s your favourite among our list? Tell us in the comments below!